Skip to content

Group claims responsibility for Borno assassinations

February 3, 2011

Next, 3 Feb 2011: A group which identified itself as Jama atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda a Waati Wal Jihad has claimed responsibility for the killing of the All Nigerian People’s Party’s gubernatorial candidate in Borno state. Unknown gunmen had, on last week, assassinated the contestant, Modu Fannami Gubio, and six others shortly after Jum’at prayers in Maiduguri, the state capital.

In a statement posted in different locations in Maiduguri on Wednesday, the group also claimed responsibility for the bomb blast that rocked churches in the Plateau state capital. Islamic sect Boko Haram had earlier claimed responsibility for the Jos bombings that claimed at least 60 lives. The group claimed to be under the leadership of Abu Mohammed Abubakar Bin Mohammed, an Imam popularly called Shekau. Mr. Mohammed was the military commander of the late leader of Boko Haram, Mohammed Yusuf, who was killed by security operatives in 2009 after the sect launched attacks against police stations and demanded for the imposition of Sharia law on the entire nation.

According to the statements posted across Maiduguri, Jama atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda a Waati Wal Jihad stated: “We will continue with our attacks and anyone who tries to assist our enemies will also face the same fate.”

But in a swift reaction to the claim, Lawal Abdullahi, the police public relations officer for Borno State, said the claim could neither be accepted nor dismissed. Mr. Abdullahi said that a team of detectives led by a deputy inspector-general of police was currently investigating the killings.

“We are, however, advising law abiding citizens of Borno state to go about their normal businesses without any fear, as the police are on top of the situation,” said the police chief.

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: